Monday, August 13, 2012

Cleansing Oil Obsessed (UPDATED)

     When it comes to makeup removal, I am a huge fan of cleansing oils; ever since a friend of mine brought me a bottle of DHC Cleansing Oil from Japan back in college. I'm a longtime fan of Albolene, which is still my favorite travel choice due to the fact that it's basically a solid until you emulsify it; however, it's not really conducive to immediate makeup re-application.

     I purchased another cleansing oil at a local shop. It was cheap, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. It turned out to be mostly mineral oil so it was cheap in more ways than one. I put it on my face and it just sort of stayed there...no makeup removal, eyes stinging, and no rinsing or wiping would take it off. It ended up in the trash. 

    The other day, I stopped in the Marine Corps Exchange for a jug of post-blackout milk (they didn't have any either) during their Glam-O-Rama event when I saw this staring back at me from one of the shelves:
The mother of all cleansing oils
   

There is was: the brand new Purity Made Simple Mineral Oil-Free Facial Cleansing Oil ($21 USD)

It was beautiful. It may have had a halo around the cap. I swear I faintly heard angels singing. Philosophy has finally come out with a cleansing oil! Haaaaaalelujah! Haaaaaalelujah! Halelujah! Halelujah! Haleeeelujah! Then a salesperson appeared with two coupons that I could use together...I took that as a sign.

     It's no secret that I am a huge fan of Philosophy products. They work and there's no "waste of time" to it (ahem, toner). Besides, if you've ever seen Cristina Carlino, Philosophy's founder, she's her own best advertisement. She's like a female Dick Clark...never seems to age. 

     The oil itself is moderately priced, but not cheap, and very luxurious feeling. I used it to wash off my makeup when I got home. It glides on like a dream; a little water, a little wipe with a washcloth and *poof* makeup AND oil were both gone. No stinging of the eyes, no residue.

     The oil was even gentle enough for me to use on my stepdaughter this weekend when she decided to swipe a deep chocolate shade of shadow underneath her eyes. Fortunately, she soon realized that this was not an attractive look. I put a bit of the oil in her hand and told her to smooth it over her face and eyes, then gave her a washcloth to wipe it all off with. It was gentle enough for her face and eyes...no burning, no stinging, no complaints and we were able to reapply something more suitable than the "sleepless nights" look and still make it to brunch on time.

Philosophy is available at finer department stores, The Exchange, QVC, and of course, their website at www.philosophy.com

UPDATE (8/13/2012): 

I'm revisiting this entry due to the fact that Shu Uemura USA is giving away 2,000 samples of its world famous cleansing oil every day until August 27th, 2012 and I am really excited about getting my sample! Shu Uemura was the first to introduce the idea of cleansing oil back in 1967 and hey, if Elizabeth Taylor liked and used it every evening to remove her makeup, then it must be good. Get yours by being one of the first 2,000 entrants between now and August 27, 2012 on the Shu Uemura Magic Oil Experience Facebook Page



 I really like the Philosophy Cleansing Oil, and I have tried others thanks to samples and living in Hawaii (since almost every skin care brand carried in Japan makes a cleansing oil and is available for tourists, even Biore). I got a sample of Lancôme Huile Douceur Cleansing Oil which was also very nice, but took a little bit of tugging to remove my mascara.



Simply stating an opinion, to be honest, I still haven't found anything yet that works better (or is less risky to travel with) than good old fashioned Albolene and a warm, wet washcloth, which you can read all about in this trusty post here . 

I'm almost hoping that I don't like Shu's Magic Oil because with its current price tag of about $77 USD, it would have to last 7 years to make up the price of my Albolene.

No comments:

Post a Comment