Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Avoiding Touch Ups


I get a lot of questions about foundation primers. Are they necessary? Are they worth it?

So here's my opinion: I think everyone needs some sort of base so your face doesn't slide down your neck by lunchtime. If you don't want to waste time hauling everything around, then you must prime. If you want to just throw a gloss in your purse and go, prime.  Now, here's the thing...while I use a primer every day, I do believe it is essential especially if you are wearing mineral makeup; however I don't use anything that is actual labeled as a primer. So do I think most primers are actually worth it? I think the answer to that one is obvious. Again, this is why I do not work in retail sales.

Oh and when you prime, include your lips.

Nevertheless, here are my top non-priming products:

Massengill Chafing Cream ($5 USD):
Here's a secret which is fairly well known in makeup circles: Massengill Chafing Cream is the same thing as the more expensive primers at up to a $25 USD discount. Really. It smooths everything out, fills in fine lines, and really helps the makeup last! The first time my mother saw me use this she half panicked: "WHYTHEHELLAREYOUPUTTINGTHATONYOURFACE???!!!". After a full day drinking Sangria in NJ humidity, my face still looked sexy though!

You can find it in pretty much any drugstore in the lady things section with other lady essentials like Pamprin and Midol.

Embryolisse Lait-Crème Concentrè (24-Hour Miracle Cream) $14 USD or $25 USD: 
The Miracle Cream. No bull.

Ohhhh the coveted French cream! It slices! It dices! It mows the lawn and takes out the garbage! How it helps makeup stay on and works as a cleanser and makeup remover is a total mystery to me, but somehow it does just that AND MORE! It's even gentle enough for babies' skin. A pea sized dab is all you need; press, don't rub it into your skin and voila! Glowing, soft skin ready for all sorts of spackle! One word of advice? Try to avoid your eyelashes since it will make them a bit slick. You'll still look fresh faced at the end of the day, but more like a fresh faced raccoon. 

This used to call for a Ricky's stop anytime I visited my folks in the NYC area, but thanks to the miracle of the internet, I can get my fix by going to the mailbox at http://www.embryolisseusa.com or http://www.rickysnyc.com/ Ricky's is a dangerous site, so beware...only go to it if you are prepared mentally and financially to feed a beauty addiction.

La Roche Posay Anthelios 15 Sunscreen (Water Resistant Formula) ($30 USD)

I love cream. This stuff is no joke. It protects even the lowest layers of the skin from sun damage, so much so, that I have developed a Vitamin D deficiency. On the up side, I'm 35 and still getting carded. I use the waterproof formula since it seems to stick better, especially when you want to look good outdoors. For example, when my honey and I went to a very swanky event at the Del Mar Turf Club on a hot Saturday afternoon, this is what I wore under my makeup, and I was still able to take pictures and not be all shiny at the end of the day even after zero touch ups.

The entire La Roche-Posay line as it is available in the U.S. is available at most CVS Pharmacies. http://www.cvs.com/

Finally, for my eyelids, I use MAC Cosmetics Paint Pot in Painterly USD 17.50


Technically this is a shadow itself. Your powder shadows will actually stick to it, but with a bonus. Unlike most other shadow bases, it can be removed with minimal tugging. Based on the available colors alone, MAC has quite obviously caught on to this. You can find MAC Paint Pots in every skin tone imaginable at or at any MAC counter or MAC Pro store or if you're not feeling particularly aggressive enough to battle rabid prom queens (customers, not MAC MUAs), there's always the internet: http://www.maccosmetics.com/product/shaded/154/1573/Paint-Pot/index.tmpl

Now you know...go forth and prime yourself silly! 

No comments:

Post a Comment